aquabio

my blog from EEOB 125 (aquabiotic biology) at stone labs

Monday, July 03, 2006

Cliffs and Stones

This is now my second day at Stone Labs, but before I start talking about everything I've done here, I want to tell you the lay of the lands... Gibralter Island is definitely the smallest island I've ever seen (about 6 acres, wow!). There are quite a few trees, which make it nice and shady in places, and it's not terribly muddy like I was expecting it to be.

I got up at 6:15 this morning and strolled the outskirts of Gibralter, where I was promptly screeched at by a small flock of Canada Geese, but thankfully they didn't chase me off, and when I ignored them they actually let me continue on my walk peacefully. The waves are gorgeous in the early morning before all the boaters come out, and everything seemed very calm, what with the rest of the camp still being asleep.

The herons are up early, too. :-)
There are some spots of the island where you can get down to the water, but there are also some steep cliffs where you can look 10 feet straight down at the waves crashing in.

Update:
See what I mean about the gorgeous morning view from the island?
...Above is a picture of the cliffs from the boat; and below is one of those picturesque cliffs, up close...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home